On Thursday evening April 10th, Dr. Buzz Mingin conducted a parent and teacher workshop entitled: Raising Adolescent Boys at the Y.A.L.E. School Northfield campus. The workshop was focused on strategies for helping teens and young adults be successful in school with an eye towards graduation and transition to life and career.
Dr. Mingin offered the following tips for parents during his presentation:
- Provide organization and structure in the boys life at home and in school
- Break goals in to small segments that can be successfully completed rather than relying upon long intervals of time
- Teach strategies and techniques for good decision making
- Recognize good decisions when they occur and acknowledge them with positive reinforcement and encouragement
- Set limits, boundaries and outcomes that are enforceable
- Be consistent in your communication
Dr. Mingin is a clinical therapist and educational consultant who specializes in social skills training and behavior management techniques at the Y.A.L.E. schools in Williamstown and Northfield, New Jersey.