At The Y.A.L.E. School’s Northfield and Williamstown campuses, GreenVision® electronics recycling provides an opportunity for students to gain employment skills while helping the environment by collecting, dismantling and recycling electronics, appliances and other e-waste. The new program gives students an opportunity to build a résumé before leaving high school.
Glenn Martins, a school psychologist at the Y.A.L.E. School’s Northfield and Williamstown campuses, offers these tips for students with disabilities entering the workforce:
- Recognize your strengths and weaknesses as a worker; complete a vocational interest survey.
- An interview can be stressful; practice answering questions in advance of the interview with your teachers, parents or friends.
- Learn as much as possible about the job or company in advance of the interview. Appear knowledgeable and informed.
- Be prepared to provide a writing sample either on paper or with a laptop computer.
- Be able to talk about yourself and highlight special talents that you possess. Have concrete examples of your accomplishments and skills to share with the interviewer.
- Send a follow up e-mail, card or letter thanking the interviewer for the opportunity and confirm your interest in the position.