The Y.A.L.E. School’s Northfield and Williamstown campuses now offer an extended array of supports for students with mental health needs and their families including psychiatric evaluations, consultations, liaison/outreach to students’ private mental health providers, and training, information and support for caregivers regarding psychopharmacological and psychiatric treatments. These specialized school-based mental health supports will be provided by Dr. Andres J. Pumariega, Professor and Chair/Chief of the Department of Psychiatry for Cooper Medical School of Rowan University. Dr. Pumariega is board-certified in Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
“We are very proud to have Dr. Pumariega join the Y.A.L.E. School’s team as a consulting psychiatrist,” said James Morrow, Y.A.L.E. School Williamstown principal.
“Dr. Pumariega brings years of experience working with children and adults with developmental disabilities who have co-occurring mental health needs,” added Alvin Doyle, the principal at the Northfield campus. “He has been able to establish an immediate rapport with our students and families.”
Services include, but are not limited to:
- Psychiatric evaluations and consultations for students
- Classroom observations and treatment recommendations
- Medication recommendation and prescriptions, as needed*
- Consultation to Y.A.L.E.’s Child Study Team
- Liaison/outreach services to students’ current mental health providers
- Parent training, information and support regarding psychopharmacological and psychiatric treatments.
*Neither the Y.A.L.E School, nor sending school districts are responsible for payment of any prescribed medicines.